Sunday, October 31, 2010

Trick or Treats... or McRibs

What better way to celebrate Halloween than with something really scary like a McRib sandwich. It is a pretty simple sandwich consisting of ground pork, pickles, onions, a sweet barbecue sauce on a roll. What is disturbing about the sandwich is that the ground pork is shaped to look like a tiny rack of ribs. The patty even has the outline of little bones that would be found in real ribs.

The sandwich is not a regular staple on the McDonald's menu and it has been years since it was available nationally. The sandwich would pop up in some locations around the country for a limited time and that spawned a need(?) for a McRib locator website. There are stories of McRib-heads who would travel hundreds of miles in search out the restaurants that were carrying this sandwich.

The last time I had a McRib had to be over 10 years ago. Still I don't remember it tasting that bad, not great, but not bad. One time in Hong Kong I went to a McDonald's and had their samurai burger. It was a ground pork patty served like a hamburger with a teriyaki sauce. That was yuck-o!

The news was that the McRib was to come out on November 1st, but a few McDonald's were selling them earlier. I decided to pop into a local McDonald's and sure enough they had it. At first I was kind of perplexed as they had a picture of the sandwich, fries, and soda with a price of $3.99. Considering Big Mac combo meals are now in the $6+ range in many stores around the country I didn't think the McRib combo would be that cheap but it was. So I got one and quickly examined it before consuming. It looked just like I remembered it and it tasted the same as I remembered. It wasn't bad, the sauce was sweet but did not cross over the border to too sweet but it was in the neighborhood. But the sandwich is not something that I would travel around the country for. I could easily wait another 10+ years before it comes out again.

My favorite memory about the sandwich actually has nothing to do with eating it, which is probably why it is my favorite. When I was going to college I would work during the summer as a janitor in Manhattan. While emptying wastepaper basket in a Chase bank I would listen to music on WHN over the radio. They had a call-in contest and the question was what was the song that was played in the movie "10" with Bo Derek. For some reason I knew the answer and called the station. I won and what I got was a few posters and a coupon for some McRib sandwiches. It was fun to just win anything in a radio contest but I don't remember if I did use the coupons...

No comments:

Post a Comment